A head-on collision between a minibus taxi and a Toyota Avanza has claimed the lives of 10 persons including 3 young children on the Golden Highway, near Soweto in Gauteng, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
According to Johannesburg Metro Police Department spokesperson Senior Superintendent Wayne Minnaar, the accident took place at about 04:50.
“A taxi transporting passengers collided head-on with a Toyota Avanza on the Golden Highway, between Concorde Road and Stockwell Avenue. The [Avanza] driver and three children below the age of 10, who were in the Avanza, died on the scene.
“Six of the taxi passengers were also killed,” Minnaar said.
Minnaar said the taxi driver was injured and taken to Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto for treatment.
As at the time of filing this report the number of injured persons have not been disclosed.
- Seven people already dead after a taxi and a minibus collided on the N4 near Hectorspruit in Mpumalanga last night (Pictures)
- Pictures From Bus Accident In Eastern Cape Today.. 21 People Confirmed Dead
- Taxi Driver Who Assaulted Abigail Kubeka Nowhere To Be Found
- Fatal Accident Along N2 Close To Bridge 14, Empangeni Area
- Sick man dies when ferried to the hospital using blankets due to bad road