Bridge Collapse In South Africa – Information reaching our news desk from Johannesburg Metro Police has it that part of the M1 south bridge at the Booysens off-ramp, south of Johannesburg, has collapsed.
According to the Johannesburg Metro Police spokesperson, Xolani Fihla M1 Bridge collapse compromised the safety of the bridge. However, the bridge is still open to traffic.
Further speaking he advised the motorists plying the road to drive with caution when they use the off-ramp. “Part of the structure under the M1 south Booysens off-ramp has broken off and it has compromised the safety of the bridge above. At the moment the traffic is flowing smoothly and the JMPD officers are on the scene.”
Engineers are to be sent to assess the damage. Fihla says police are monitoring the situation.
“ Johannesburg Roads Agency has been contacted to come and assess the damage and if necessary to go-ahead to close the section of the bridge.”
- Security Operatives Apprehends Two Criminals In Killarney (Picture)
- Gauteng Traffic Police recovers vehicle after suspects abandoned it close to a construction site (Pictures)
- Gauteng Police On Hunt Spree For Armed Men Who Shot And Killed Man Near Joburg Mosque
- 87 Persons Face Thorough Questioning After The Massacre Of Nine Illegal Miners In Matholesville
- Golden Highway taxi crash near Soweto in Gauteng, see number of deaths (Pictures)