A 44-year-old Warrant Officer who worked at the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) was killed this morning following a cash-in-transit heist within the Mahikeng area in the North West Province.
A group of armed suspects travelling in a Mercedes Benz and a Ford Ranger attacked a cash-in-transit vehicle on the Mahikeng/Lichtenberg Road. The suspects used explosives to gain access to the cash but before actually removing the cash from the CIT vehicle, members from the Hawks and the National Intervention Unit responded.
The suspects fled in both vehicles without taking any money. A high speed chase ensued towards the Mafikeng CBD. Police lost track of the suspects in the Mercedes Benz, but the chase for the Ford Ranger continued until Mahikeng where a shootout ensued between the suspects and the police in the CBD. The Hawks member was killed after sustaining a gunshot wound to her head. Three civilians have been reported to be wounded.
No arrests have as yet been made but intensive investigations continue.
The National Commissioner has conveyed his condolences to the family of our fallen colleague and called upon the SAPS leadership in the North West Province to immediately mobilise the 72 hour Activation Plan.
“I have directed that our various police units throughout the country be on the lookout for these suspects,” said General Sitole.
We appeal to anyone with any information on this matter to please contact the SAPS Crime Stop number 086 00 10111 or provide information via the SAPS MySAPSApp. All information will be treated with strictest confidence and callers may remain anonymous
- Grassy Park police arrested 3 suspects for dealing in drugs (Pictures)
- Gauteng Traffic Police recovers vehicle after suspects abandoned it close to a construction site (Pictures)
- Search for Bathobile Mlangeni, the lady who allegedly stole R4-million in cash from SBV cash depot at Mall of Africa in Midrandstill is still on – Police
- Gauteng Police On Hunt Spree For Armed Men Who Shot And Killed Man Near Joburg Mosque
- Tracking officials with the help of SAPS has successfully tracked a stolen car (BMW X5) in Evaton after it was taken in a house robbery