Two out of the three grade 8 pupil have died in Phala Secondary school in Broekman village after a table collapsed as the were sorting books in the school library.
Provincial education MEC Polly Boshielo on Wednesday expressed shock at the incident.
“The department learnt that the three learners were sorting out books in their learning and teaching support materials resource classroom. Unfortunately, during the process, a table broke and fell on the three learners,” said department spokesperson Sam Makondo.
The three pupils were transported to Helen Franz Hospital. One was assessed and discharged but the other two were transferred to the Polokwane Provincial Hospital, where one of them subsequently died.
The third pupil is still under medical supervision in Polokwane, said Makondo.
Boshielo said the department had dispatched a team to offer trauma counselling to pupils, teachers, support staff and the bereaved family.
- How 14yr-old Liticha Princess Sbongile Nelson Schoolgirl Was Brutally Raped, Stabbed And Burnt To Death In South Africa
- Pictures & Video From Enock Mpianzi Funeral/Burial
- 2 Dead After 100 Lofentse Girls High School Reportedly Ate Poisoned Cake (Photos/Video)
- Enock Mpianzi, Missing Parktown Boys High School Pupil Confirmed Dead
- See Pass Marks For Two Of SA’s Most Expensive Schools