The Chinese ambassador to South Africa has revealed that non of the South Africans returning back from China has contracted the deadly Coronavirus.
He made known on Friday through the media in Pretoria that South Africans awaiting repatriation were part of China’s quarantine programmes, and the group will be subjected to screenings before leaving China.
He said the Chinese government would offer all the support needed to ensure they return home safely.
Songtian said the Chinese government understood the distress from the concerned people, who may want to be with their families during this time.
“I am proud to say there are no confirmed cases coming from China to South Africa. Why? We make sure that whoever comes to this country must be safe,” he said.
He said screenings were taking place from all airports in China to ensure that there were no slip ups.
To make sure of this, Songtian said everyone coming from China to South Africa now needed his approval directly.
He added that the virus was now not only coming from China alone, but from other countries such as Italy. This meant the global community should now be on high alert.
On Thursday, South Africa confirmed its first case of the coronavirus.
A 38-year-old man from Hilton, KwaZulu-Natal, tested positive for Covid-19 and was among a group of 10, including his wife, who had recently returned from Italy.
Songtian said they were willing to offer support to South Africa and were already pleased with the way the Ministry of Health had been working closely with China.
- Coronavirus Updates: Cases in South Africa hit the double-digits as 6 new cases have now been confirmed by Minister of Health (Picture)
- 38-year-old Man who had traveled to Italy with his wife arrives South Africa in March tested positive to Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: “The people we are bringing back form China are all healthy and not sick” – President Ramaphosa assures South Africans
- Where in South Africa is the 38 yr-old man that tested positive to Coronavirus in KwaZulu-Natal stays
- Watch as SANDF soldiers heads to Wuhan to bring back 122 South Africans from Wuhan