No fewer than 21 people lost their lives today in a bus accident in the Eastern Cape on Monday, the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) has said.
The bus was travelling on a gravel road near the Tafalofefe Hospital on Monday morning around 08:00 when it overturned, said RTMC spokesperson Simon Zwane.
“The Marcopolo bus was travelling from Chebe, picking passengers at locations along the road to Butterworth,” he said.
While the exact cause of the crash was not known, Zwane said the driver reportedly lost control of the bus in the bushes down a steep area.
The final number of casualties has yet to be confirmed. Earlier on Monday, Zwane said 20 people were injured.
See Pictures Below:-
- Seven people already dead after a taxi and a minibus collided on the N4 near Hectorspruit in Mpumalanga last night (Pictures)
- Video Footage Shows The Exact Moment Kobe Bryant Helicopter Crashed
- BREAKING NEWS: 5 people have been killed in a plane crash near Lockhart River in far north Queensland, No visuals yet
- Three US Firefighters Killed In Plane Crash Battling Wildfires In Australia
- Grayston Preparatory School in Sandton closed after one of the teachers tested positive to the coronavirus